Monday, August 3, 2020

Pre-Planning in COVID-19 - New, Scary, All the Feels!

Today is the first day of pre-planning in my district, and staff is back in the building.  We are starting universal remote learning for the year with the students in 2 weeks, but teachers are required to work in the buildings at least for now.

Here I am back in my room sitting at my desk looking at student desks that no one will sit in for who knows how long, which is fine if it is not safe, but weird.  I have seen a couple of my colleagues and though it is great to see them, it is also hard because we cannot see each other's faces, hug, or even get close to each other.  We can see each other's eyes, and all eyes I have seen are pretty apprehensive; I have heard no laughter. 

Pre-planning is normally a pretty exciting day for teachers - the start of a fresh new year.  Many of us have not seen each other in weeks, we hug, high five, hang-out in each other's rooms while setting up, go to lunch together, welcome new department members, and share our dreams and goals for the year.  This year that is all virtual, the excitement is gone and replaced by anxiety, uncertainty, and fear of getting sick by being in the building or even worse.

In the last 2 weeks it has been a daily struggle to wrap my head around all of this and how it will go.  Though we all did virtual remote learning last spring and learned enough for us and our students to survive, we now need to transition to thriving while the students are not in the classroom.  I know we can and most definitely will do it, but where to start?  How to keep it up daily along with keeping our emotions and fears at bay?  Will we even see our kids this semester?  When will school ever resemble what it once was?

So, I have decided to pick 3 positive things to remind myself of daily while starting my day.  I will write them down and refer to them when things get tough or seem impossible.  Here are my 3 for today:

1.  I completed my required MS Teams training this past weekend, so not only is it done ahead of time,
     but I was excited about all the features that can help me keep things I love to do in my classroom as
     well as new ideas.

2.  All of the furniture that is supposed to be in my room made it back to my room after the summer!

3.  I am working on great PLC teams this year!

In closing for now, to all the teachers across my state and in our nation that have to go back today or soon with students, my hear goes out to you in every way.  I absolutely cannot imagine that level of stress right now on top of this.  I will be thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way in that you stay healthy with protective measures in place.


3 comments:

  1. Wow - what an odd start to the year, but I love your commitment to the 3 positive things. I hope your first day of pre-planning went well and that you have a fabulous year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is included in my habit that I often visit blogs in my free time, so after landing on your blog. I have thoroughly impressed with it and decided to take out some precious time to visit it again and again. Thanks. pococarcovidshuttle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rehearse in front of some colleagues and friends and ask them for feedback, including what you did well. NDIS Providers Kingscliff

    ReplyDelete